By: Harold G. Bailey, NEW YORK Tue. Oct.31, 2017 (BGM NEWS): Eight people were killed and 13 others injured when a lone suspect drove a rented truck unto a bike lane, mowing down cyclists and pedestrian for about a mile before crashing into a school bus, in lower Manhattan this afternoon.
Police and law enforcement sources identified the suspect as Sayfullo Saipov, a native of Uzbekistan who migrated to the United States legally 7 years ago. The incident, described as the worst terror attack in Manhattan since the September 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade center unfolded shortly after 3 pm.
The suspect who is hospitalized is said to be cooperating with investigators and has shown allegiance to the terror group ISIS. Police say that thousands of ISIS-related material and photos were found on a cell phone belonging to Sapiov.
At a news conference, Mayor Bill de -Blasio, Governor Cuomo, and NYPD Commissioner. James O’Neil all condemned the attack, with the Mayor and Governor promising an increase police presence across the city. “We are New Yorkers, and we will stand strong and resolute,” the Mayor said. Among the 8 fatalities were 5 Argentinian friends in the city for a high school reunion. So far sources say there was no immediate indication that Saipov had any accomplice in the attack.
Police and other law enforcement officers were quick on the scene. Evangelo Mageros, a Port Authority Police Officer was among the first cops on the scene and told of “hearing screams in my truck as I approached the area.” Some eyewitnesses told of chaos and confusion in the immediate aftermath of the attack.
President Trump described the suspect as a “very sick and deranged person,” after being briefed on the incident. The president later added through twitter that he had “ordered Homeland Security to step up our already extreme vetting program.”